The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai is developing a smart ticketing system that will check passengers in and out hands free using their smart cards or smartphones. “Once the commuters hop on the bus with smart cards/smartphones in their pockets, the on-board smart fare collection system immediately registers the time of riding and the location of the bus, and processes automatically the fare payment required. No user interaction,” says Adel Shakri at RTA.
- Octopus adds travel info and P2P NFC transfers to transit wallet
- RTD Denver lets passengers buy tickets from within their Lyft app
- Snapper lets transportation users top up their travel card with their iPhone
- Tyne and Wear Metro launches mobile ticketing on Android phones
- Capital Metro pilots fare-capping service on transit app
This article is more than four years old