The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai is developing a smart ticketing system that will check passengers in and out hands free using their smart cards or smartphones. “Once the commuters hop on the bus with smart cards/smartphones in their pockets, the on-board smart fare collection system immediately registers the time of riding and the location of the bus, and processes automatically the fare payment required. No user interaction,” says Adel Shakri at RTA.
- Sydney integrates digital Opal card with rideshare services
- Delhi Metro lets passengers top up their transit cards at fare gates
- Central Maryland RTA adds mobile ticketing, fare capping and free transfers
- Office shuttle service adopts ultrasonic technology for boarding pass authentication
- Metrolinx begins contactless fare payment pilot in Toronto
This article is more than four years old