The GSMA forecasts there will be 1.1bn 5G mobile connections by 2025, with 5G networks providing one in eight of all mobile connections and driving “massive rollout of intelligent IoT nodes for a multitude of scenarios”. “The 5G era will make possible a huge array of new applications, everything from sensor-driven smart parking to holographic conference calls,” says GSMA director general Mats Granryd.
- Octopus lets iPhone users personalise their digital transit card
- Increasing adoption of NFC, QR codes and biometrics drives growth across cardless ATM market
- Budapest to trial open loop contactless fare payments on airport shuttle bus
- Warsaw skyscraper gets contactless mobile access control
- British Airways trials contactless biometric boarding at London’s Heathrow Airport
This article is more than five years old