Upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose is working on a new app that will use Bluetooth LE beacons to welcome customers to its stores and push promotional messages to shoppers. A mobile payments app to replace Waitrose’s existing QuickCheck self-scanning service is also under development, along with a barcode scanning option that would allow customers to read reviews and get more information about individual items.
- Brits now use smart cards and mobile phones for half their rail journeys
- Ohio transportation providers roll out multi-operator regional mobile ticketing service
- Facebook loses Libra cryptocurrency backers
- Royal Mint produces solid gold payment card
- EMT to pilot blockchain and face recognition ticketing in Madrid