Some 8.4bn connected “things” will be in use worldwide in 2017, up 31% from 2016, with 20.4bn in use by 2020, Gartner predicts. “Total spending on endpoints and services will reach almost US$2tn in 2017,” the company says. Greater China, North America and Western Europe will represent 67% of the overall Internet of Things installed base in 2017.
- US ice hockey team Nashville Predators lets fans authenticate limited edition jerseys with NFC
- Cleveland transit authority joins regional mobile ticketing service
- Google launches multipurpose digital wallet with support for digital IDs, tickets and payment cards
- Global QR code transaction values to exceed US$3tn by 2025
- EMVCo releases draft contactless kernel specification for payment acceptance devices
This article is more than five years old