The UK’s Royal Mint is working with derivatives marketplace CME Group to develop a new gold trading system using blockchain technology. Launching in 2017, Royal Mint will issue Royal Mint Gold (RMG) as a digital record of ownership for gold stored at its storage facility. CME Group will develop and operate the digital trading platform to “provide an easier, cost-effective and cryptographically secure alternative to buying, holding and trading spot gold”.
- Visa switches on Apple Pay support in Japan
- Apple AirTag ‘hack’ indicates dynamic NFC capability
- Irish banks plan Yippay mobile payments joint venture to compete with new entrants
- Bahamas links digital currency to bank accounts
- Consumers to get option to personalise their digital payment cards
This article is more than four years old