The UK’s Royal Mint is working with derivatives marketplace CME Group to develop a new gold trading system using blockchain technology. Launching in 2017, Royal Mint will issue Royal Mint Gold (RMG) as a digital record of ownership for gold stored at its storage facility. CME Group will develop and operate the digital trading platform to “provide an easier, cost-effective and cryptographically secure alternative to buying, holding and trading spot gold”.
- Czech Republic to roll out mobile driving licences and digital IDs
- CTA launches open API standard to support radar-enabled contactless applications
- US Federal Reserve launches public consultation on digital dollar
- Public transport users in the Philippines get NFC top-up for contactless fare payment cards
- Smart lets teachers log in to interactive displays via NFC
This article is more than five years old