Customers at upmarket UK supermarket chain Waitrose are trialling a ‘scan as you shop’ mobile app in three branches that lets them scan product barcodes on their phones as they place goods in their basket. “The trial is taking place in Waitrose shops in Clapham Common, Meanwood and Milngavie, with a view to rolling out the service to all Waitrose branches in 2016 if successful,” the company says. Waitrose began testing Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons in its stores in May 2014.
- NFCW Expo online exhibition opens 21 September
- Antelop Solutions opens NFCW Expo showcase
- Klip digital wallet goes live in UAE
- Digital payments specialist Dejamobile opens showcase in the NFCW Expo
- Vanquis leverages open banking to let credit-building customers pay off balances instantly
- Bahamas to roll out central bank digital currency nationwide
This article is more than four years old