The organizers of the annual SXSW music and film festival are working with Gimbal, RightRound and Urban Airship to place 1,000 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons around the event’s venues. The beacons support Around Me, a new social networking addition to the SXSW Go app that lets attendees who check into zones at official venues discover what’s happening nearby and connect with other people that have also checked into the location.
- Germany passes law forcing Apple to open up Apple Pay
- Golden Goose adds NFC tags to limited edition sneakers
- TfL reports on mobile payments adoption on London’s transport network
- Samsung adds Promoted Cards to Samsung Pay in Australia
- Madeira to pilot fingerprint biometric cards for decentralized digital IDs