The organizers of the annual SXSW music and film festival are working with Gimbal, RightRound and Urban Airship to place 1,000 Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons around the event’s venues. The beacons support Around Me, a new social networking addition to the SXSW Go app that lets attendees who check into zones at official venues discover what’s happening nearby and connect with other people that have also checked into the location.
- Shenzhen residents spend nearly 9m digital yuan during CBDC pilot
- Six in ten US merchants now accept contactless payments
- Kazakhstan to roll out face recognition transit ticketing in 2021
- Pizza maker teams up with delivery service to let robots make and deliver orders to the door
- University of New Mexico uses campus ID cards to combat spread of Covid-19
This article is more than five years old
Keep up to date: Get NFCW's headlines by email every Wednesday