Detachable Joy-Con controllers for Nintendo’s long-awaited new games console Switch will include an NFC reader and writer to exchange data with Amiibo toys, Venturebeat reports. The NFC-enabled figurines were launched in 2014 by Nintendo, and appear in a range of games as playable characters that can be trained and gain skills the more a user interacts with them. Switch will be released on March 3.
- HID Global launches combo NFC and RFID tags for tracking returnable industrial containers
- NXP launches secure UWB chips for hands-free access control, payments and IoT
- University of New Mexico uses campus ID cards to combat spread of Covid-19
- Shinhan Card introduces iPhone case that lets owners use sounds to make contactless mobile payments
- Maryville University introduces NFC digital IDs
This article is more than three years old
Keep up to date: Get NFCW's headlines by email every Wednesday