UK repair shop Byte has conducted a teardown of the Apple Watch 2 device, revealing an NFC chip incorporated in its display. “What appears to be the touchscreen controllers are sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation devices,” MacRumors reports. “It’s not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.” More details may be unveiled at Apple’s annual iPhone event at 5pm GMT on 7 September.
- Marshall University transitions to mobile-only NFC ID cards for staff and students
- Thailand tests NFC wristbands for tracking Covid-19 patients and at-risk groups
- HID Global opens NFCW Expo showcase
- Canada begins testing national digital ID framework
- EU to report on its investigation into Apple Pay next week?
This article is more than four years old