There are now 388.8m Visa EMV cards circulating in the US, 180.6m of which are credit cards and 208.3m debit cards, the payment network has revealed. “More than 1.7m merchants are now accepting chip cards, a 191% increase in the last year,” the company says. “There were more than three quarters of a billion Visa chip transactions in October, a 453% increase over last year. Chip-ready merchants now represent 41% of Visa’s in-store payment volume.” The US became Visa’s largest chip card market in the world last month.
- Google Pay streamlines user interface
- UK pilots new ways to provide access to cash in communities without bank branches
- Apple lets kids use their Apple Watch to make payments with Apple Pay
- Wearable payments specialist Tappy opens NFCW Expo showcase
- UK charities leverage open banking to cut donation transaction costs
This article is more than three years old