Half of all European cards will be contactless by 2021 and the volume of contactless payments will rise more than six-fold between 2015 and 2021 to almost 25bn — equivalent to 22% of all payments on European cards — RBR reveals. At the end of 2015, there were 346m contactless cards in the region, up 41% from a year before, with the use of contactless card payments increasing three-fold to 3.7bn, equivalent to 5% of all card payments.
- UOB lets customers use its mobile banking app to link debit and credit cards to third-party apps
- PSCU reports 70% increase in US mobile debit card transactions
- Google Pay adds bill splitting, movie bookings and scratchcard rewards in Singapore
- Strong customer authentication requirements could cost European retailers €100bn in lost sales
- Edenred adds Apple Pay for UK prepaid cardholders
This article is more than three years old