Contactless technology was built into 56% of all smart cards shipped globally excluding the Americas in 2015, up from 42% in 2014, the Smart Payment Association reports. “53% of all cards shipped in Europe were contactless, while in the Asia Pacific region, an impressive 74% of cards featured contactless technologies,” says the association. Approximately 2.6bn chip payment cards were shipped around the world last year, with 570m shipped to the US — a two-fold increase on 2014 — and a 27% growth in shipments in China.
- Beijing offers public transport users discounts to encourage digital yuan fare payments
- Major banks, retailers and fintechs to support rollout of national QR payments and rewards system in Australia
- Circle K adds checkout-free shopping at US convenience stores
- Apple Pay goes live in Bahrain
- Three in four UK consumers want to set their own contactless spending limit
This article is more than five years old