Customers of mobile network operator Econet Wireless in Zimbabwe can now make in-store purchases by tapping NFC stickers affixed to their mobile devices at the point of sale, with funds automatically deducted from their EcoCash mobile money account. “More than 500 vendors, merchant and agencies have already signed for EcoCash Ta! in Harare alone and Econet plans to launch it in other parts of the country over the next few weeks,” the carrier says.
- EU banks plot pan-European rival to Visa and Mastercard
- EU antitrust chief examines Apple Pay
- DressCode ships contactless payments shirts
- Mastercard partners with Tappy Technologies for wearable payments in Asia
- PayPal and Venmo to move into in-store payments ‘next year’