Customers of mobile network operator Econet Wireless in Zimbabwe can now make in-store purchases by tapping NFC stickers affixed to their mobile devices at the point of sale, with funds automatically deducted from their EcoCash mobile money account. “More than 500 vendors, merchant and agencies have already signed for EcoCash Ta! in Harare alone and Econet plans to launch it in other parts of the country over the next few weeks,” the carrier says.
- McKinsey and EBA identify threats to European banks’ payments revenues
- Payconiq rolls out cross-border QR mobile payments service in Europe
- SBI Card integrates NFC payments into mobile app
- Japanese airline turns to mobile payments to boost revenues during Covid-19
- Ford lets commercial vehicle drivers process payments from their connected vehicle app
This article is more than four years old