American Express has partnered with New York basketball team Brooklyn Nets to pilot Brooklyn eWallet, a digital payment solution integrated into the team’s mobile app that lets fans buy food and drink with their mobile phone at any event held at the Barclays Center arena. Fans can link up to 10 credit, charge, debit or prepaid cards to their wallet to fund purchases by taking a picture of their card. They can then make payments at participating concession stands by scanning a QR code generated by the merchant.
- Forecast: 1.4bn consumers will be using face recognition to authenticate payments by 2025
- Patent shows how Apple Pay could automatically select a card based on the user’s location
- Visa reports 1bn extra contactless transactions in Europe since payment limit rises
- More than 100m Americans to make an in-store mobile payment in 2021
- East Caribbean Central Bank launches digital currency
This article is more than six years old