US mobile payments provider Square is pulling out of the consumer mobile wallet business and its Square Wallet app is no longer available to new customers to download. “Square Wallet provided a very magical experience but didn’t have a lot of the utility value,” Square’s Ajit Varma has told Recode. The company continues to serve merchants, however, and has launched a new click and collect service called Square Order that lets customers place orders with small merchants for collection at a later date or time.
- Apple Pay users in the US to get buy now pay later option with iOS 16
- BIS reports on CBDCs in emerging markets
- Moroccan bank launches biometric payment card
- US digital bank introduces contactless payments rings
- Riksbank completes digital currency payments pilot