More than one billion online and offline transactions were made through Alipay at this year’s Singles’ Day Shopping Gala, an increase of 48% from 2015, with the peak number of transactions standing at 120,000 in a single second. Gross merchandise volume (GMV) through the mobile payments platform was US$14.6bn, about 82% of total GMV, compared to 69% last year “Peak transactions enabled with banks around the world were 54,000 transactions per second, two times last year’s peak,” Alipay parent company Ant Financial says.
- Pax Technology partners with Dejamobile to let merchants accept contactless payments on NFC devices
- Survey: ‘Growing number’ of Europeans support creation of national digital currencies independently of EU
- Google Pay to go live in Israel this year?
- Nearly two-thirds of UK consumers would now prefer to make card payments from a mobile wallet
- DBS Bank lets Singapore customers self-manage card security options in real time
This article is more than four years old