Luxury watchmaker Swatch will focus its smartwatch activities on its plastic Swatch brand before considering the technology for its pricier models. “Making progress in the smartwatch market is crucial for Swatch, which is seen as the most vulnerable of the Swiss watchmakers to inroads by the Apple Watch and similar watches produced by Samsung Electronics and others,” The Wall Street Journal reports. The company launched its first NFC payments watch, the Swatch Bellamy, in China in October 2015.
- Stats show regional variations in UK adoption of contactless and mobile payments during pandemic
- Dayton RTA adds physical cards to Tapp Pay mobile ticketing service
- UK retailers explore facial analysis technology for customer age verification
- San Francisco MTC lets passengers pay fares with Clipper on iPhone and Apple Watch
- ECB survey reveals Europeans expect digital euro to be private, secure and easy to use
This article is more than five years old