A newly published patent reveals Apple could be working on a strap design for the Apple Watch that will let wearers add extra functions to their device through modular links that connect together. The modular links contain working electronic components to enable features such as a blood pressure sensor or speaker. “The wearable device may receive identifiers from each of the modular functional band links, determine functionality available using the identifiers and communicate with one or more of the modular functional band links to utilise the determine functionality,” the patent reads.
- Fabric patches harvest static energy to add wearables to ordinary clothing
- Osaka Metro tests hands-free contactless payments for wheelchair users
- Amsterdam gets tap-in tap-out open loop contactless fare payments
- Port of San Diego adds contactless biometric immigration checks using facial recognition
- India pilots digital rupee for contactless in-store and P2P payments
This article is more than five years old