Pan-African banking group Ecobank has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Visa to roll out the mVisa QR code-based mobile payment service in 33 African markets by the end of 2016. “This MoU will help Ecobank reach 100m customers,” the company says. mVisa was unveiled in August 2015 through a pilot with Indian banks. Ecobank also signed an MoU with Mastercard last month to launch Masterpass QR mobile payments across Africa.
- Financial Conduct Authority to add new protections for consumers’ funds
- Interac reports surge in digital payments adoption
- Bitkom reports major switch in German attitudes to contactless payments
- Swedish government regulates online payment options
- Tappy demo shows how brands can add contactless payments to wearables
This article is more than three years old