Mastercard will launch its biometric identity verification system across North America in the first half of 2017, with Canadian bank BMO Financial Group the first to offer the service to its corporate customers. Identity Check Mobile was soft launched earlier this year, and uses fingerprint and facial recognition to verify a cardholder’s identity. “Moving this technology beyond the pilot phase is a significant milestone in the evolution of payments,” says Ajay Bhalla from Mastercard. The service was rolled out in 12 European countries earlier this month.
- Nine in ten UK in-store card payments are now contactless
- EU to debut digital euro project this year?
- One in three Indian households now use digital payments
- China unveils plan to build a global payment network based on central bank digital currencies
- BBC Click showcases Tappy’s wearable contactless payments technology
This article is more than four years old