Mastercard will launch its biometric identity verification system across North America in the first half of 2017, with Canadian bank BMO Financial Group the first to offer the service to its corporate customers. Identity Check Mobile was soft launched earlier this year, and uses fingerprint and facial recognition to verify a cardholder’s identity. “Moving this technology beyond the pilot phase is a significant milestone in the evolution of payments,” says Ajay Bhalla from Mastercard. The service was rolled out in 12 European countries earlier this month.
- Apple Pay users in the US to get buy now pay later option with iOS 16
- BIS reports on CBDCs in emerging markets
- Moroccan bank launches biometric payment card
- US digital bank introduces contactless payments rings
- Riksbank completes digital currency payments pilot