The annual use of contactless cards across the UK has risen 250%, with £1.1bn spent in March 2016 alone, research released by the British Bankers Association (BBA) reveals. “Banks issued 15m cards with contactless technology in 2015, up 54% on the year before,” the trade association says. UK consumers are now also using mobile banking apps more than 7,610 times a minute or 4bn times a year.
- EU banks plot pan-European rival to Visa and Mastercard
- EU antitrust chief examines Apple Pay
- DressCode ships contactless payments shirts
- Mastercard partners with Tappy Technologies for wearable payments in Asia
- PayPal and Venmo to move into in-store payments ‘next year’