Kenyan carrier Safaricom is testing a new PIN-based NFC-enabled ‘Tap-and-Go’ card for its M-Pesa mobile money service. “The telecommunications services provider says the new offering can integrate with an existing M-Pesa account and the pilot phase is currently being conducted among Safaricom staff, with plans to extend the service to university students,” ITWeb Africa reports. Reports emerged in March 2014 that Safaricom was working to add NFC to its M-Pesa service.
- China puts pressure on McDonald’s, Visa and Nike to accept digital yuan
- Schools in Scotland let students make contactless meal payments with their face
- Tesco opens its first checkout-free store in London
- Beijing offers public transport users discounts to encourage digital yuan fare payments
- Major banks, retailers and fintechs to support rollout of national QR payments and rewards system in Australia
This article is more than five years old