Alipay parent Ant Financial is planning to raise up to 20bn yuan (US$3.1bn) in its current funding round at a valuation of more than $50bn, according to The Wall Street Journal. “The fresh funding will give the operator of popular Chinese online payments platform Alipay more financial muscle as it buys stakes in businesses ranging from a Chinese lottery company to China’s Postal Savings Bank,” the publication says. “It also sets the stage for Ant Financial’s future initial public offering — bankers expect it as early as 2017.”
- Samsung adds Promoted Cards to Samsung Pay in Australia
- Google to offer bank accounts?
- Nestlé pilots face recognition payments in Barcelona
- Facebook Pay launches on Facebook and Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp to follow
- EU banks plot pan-European rival to Visa and Mastercard