Spanish winemaker Barbadillo has integrated NFC into its limited edition bottles of Versos 1891 rare sherry so customers can check the beverage’s authenticity with a tap of their mobile device. “The NFC OpenSense tags incorporated into each bottle are specifically designed to thwart counterfeits, prevent unauthorized refills and facilitate product authentication,” says technology provider Thinfilm. The roll out follows a six-figure unit order for NFC OpenSense tags placed by packaging and labels provider Constantia Flexibles to deliver solutions to the beverage industry.
- ST explains how NFC tags with digital signatures can provide end-to-end protection against counterfeiting throughout the supply chain
- Starbucks launches NFC payment pens in Japan
- NXP unveils NFC, UWB and secure element chipset
- Two in five wrist-worn wearables now come with NFC
- Apple adds Ultra Wideband communications chip to iPhone 11