Visa PayWave accounted for 61% of the 1.4bn contactless payments made in Europe in 2014, research from RBR reveals, with MasterCard PayPass accounting for the “vast majority” of the remainder. “Contactless has spread rapidly in Europe and RBR forecasts the payment volume to increase nine-fold between 2014 and 2020,” the firm adds.
- Pizza maker teams up with delivery service to let robots make and deliver orders to the door
- TreeCard launches wooden contactless debit card
- Estonian fuel station installs self-service payments system that replaces need for physical card readers
- Canadian retailer vends ready-made meals from contactless kiosks
- Pret A Manger pilots contactless charity donations in UK outlets
This article is more than four years old