Apple Pay saw a “significant acceleration in usage” in the second half of 2015, Apple CEO Tim Cook reported during the company’s first quarter earnings call, with a growth rate 10 times higher than in the first half of the year. Cook also revealed that Apple Pay will soon be accepted at “thousands” of ExxonMobil gas stations across the US via the company’s Speedpass+ app. “There are now over 5m contactless payment ready locations in the countries where Apple Pay is live today,” he added.
- Samsung begins global rollout of mobile POS app that lets merchants accept payments on standard Android phones
- Facebook loses Libra cryptocurrency backers
- Royal Mint produces solid gold payment card
- Survey pinpoints roadblocks to US mobile payments adoption
- Japanese merchants report sharp increase in mobile transactions