Some 417bn cashless payments were made in 60 countries worldwide in 2014, according to research from RBR. “These are increasing at only a slightly faster rate than the number of ATM cash withdrawals, suggesting that cash is still favoured as a means of payment for a significant proportion of the global population,” RBR says. “Cards are by far the most common and fastest growing cashless means of payment, making up more than half of such transactions worldwide.”
- Carrefour integrates its loyalty card with Apple Pay
- Afterpay lets US consumers pay by instalments with their NFC mobile phone
- Card networks begin global Click to Pay rollout
- Apple Pay to add support for QR mobile payments in iOS 14?
- Orange Bank introduces mobile-first debit card in Spain
This article is more than four years old