Nearly 1.6bn coupons will be delivered annually to consumers via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacons by 2020, up from 11m this year, Juniper Research predicts. “However, the research cautioned that the use of beacon technology was very much a work in progress, with many retailers concerned that excessive, indiscriminate messages pushed by the beacon could be perceived as intrusive and damage their relationship with the customer,” the research firm says.
- Westpac to let merchants accept contactless payments on Android NFC smartphones in Australia
- Global chip shortages to continue impacting contactless card delivery into 2023
- Zuckerberg unveils plans to launch digital wallet for metaverse transactions
- Atac pilots contactless fare payments on buses in Rome
- Nigeria to let consumers use feature phones to make payments with national digital currency
This article is more than six years old