Contactless transactions grew by almost 170% year-on-year in Q2 2015 across Europe and consumers already using contactless tapped 20% more often, research from MasterCard reveals. “Contactless spend tripled in Europe compared to Q2 2014,” the company says. “In Q2 2015, 1 out of 2 contactless transactions were done at food stores, followed by 14.5% at restaurants and bars and 10% at retail stores.” MasterCard will make high value contactless payments available across Europe by 2017.
- Apple Pay goes live in Armenia
- Apple Pay to launch in Argentina and Peru ‘soon’
- One in four consumers expect to switch to being cashless within two years
- China to let visiting athletes and spectators use digital yuan at Beijing Winter Olympics
- China launches digital currency app for Android and Apple users in 10 cities
This article is more than six years old