Travellers in Spain’s capital will be able to use their NFC phones to pass through ticket barriers as Madrid’s public transport system tests NFC ticketing. The SIM-based NFC trial will see owners of Samsung Galaxy phones with Telefonica SIMs being able to register payment cards and buy tickets direct from their handsets. Madrid ran an NFC bus ticketing trial with BankInter in 2010.
- California begins state-wide rollout of fare capped open loop contactless ticketing
- Finnish cities roll out open loop contactless fare payments
- Google Pay to add transit payments to home screen
- Transport for Ireland adds NFC transit card top-ups for iPhone users
- Octopus to let Hong Kong cardholders pay for transit fares in mainland China
This article is more than six years old