Alipay is making it possible for Chinese tourists to purchase transport passes for Singapore, Thailand and Macau ahead of travel and then collect them by scanning a barcode on their mobile phones at booths and kiosks at their destination. The Alipay Overseas Transportation Card service vends stored value smart cards that can be used to pay for bus rides, subway trips, taxis and other types of local and regional public transportation, Alizila explains.
- Octopus lets Hong Kong commuters add their transit card to iPhone and Apple Watch
- Taipei light rail offers 50% discounts to mobile payment users
- Metrolinx to let iPhone users top up Presto transit cards via NFC
- Garmin lets Japanese commuters add Suica transit cards to smart wearables
- Bangalore buses to go cashless post-lockdown
This article is more than five years old