A total of 450million contactless cards, twice the number produced in 2012, were shipped in 2013 by members of the Smart Payment Association, a group that accounts for 85% of the market. Some 37% of all payment cards shipped in the year included contactless functionality while the number of dual-interface cards, which accounted for 94% of contactless shipments in 2013, grew 115%. The Asia Pacific region saw the highest growth at 193%, followed by 64% in Europe and 45% in the Americas.
- Fidesmo opens NFCW Expo showcase
- Seoul light rail system trials face recognition ticketing
- PBOC to launch third digital yuan trial in Shenzhen
- Global digital wallet spending to top $10tn in 2025
- Nine in ten UK in-store card payments are now contactless
This article is more than six years old