NXP Semiconductors shipped 125m NFC chips for smartphones and tablets in 2012, beating previous projections. The chip maker’s figures received a boost when Samsung shipped 40m Galaxy S III smartphones equipped with NXP chips in the final six months of the year. Samsung is, however, believed to be using Broadcom NFC technology in the new Galaxy S4.
- American Airlines launches mobile health passport for passengers travelling to the USA
- ST launches NFC Type 5 tags with Augmented NDEF for dynamically updated information exchange at longer ranges
- Samsung unveils ultra wideband Smart Tags
- Hyundai to let drivers use their iPhone to unlock their vehicle
- Samsung adds support for UWB and NFC digital car keys
This article is more than seven years old