Durban is to introduce a contactless electronic wallet for use on its public transport network which can also be used to pay for purchases in shops. The Muvo card rollout will begin with a six week pilot on the South African city’s buses from February 2012. The system has been developed by South Africa’s National Department of Transport (NDoT), Almex and Standard Bank’s Beyond Payments unit.
- Cambridge Consultants combines NFC and machine vision for next generation interactive bar
- American Airlines includes NFC passport reading in mobile app
- Sheep Inc uses NFC tags to let sweater buyers trace their purchase back to the original fleece
- Merivale to let Sydney diners tap table tags to order food and drinks
- Researchers use NFC to power epidermal VR feedback patch